Serves 4 as a side
This is a delicious way to prepare an array of seasonal greens.
Perhaps unusual to find lettuce and peas on a barbecue but once tried you won’t look back; like all vegetables the humble lettuce is transformed when charred and the smoky peas, grilled in their pods, are to be eaten like edamame.
Cook alongside barbecued meats or to keep it vegetarian, serve with quinoa and top with grilled halloumi or crumbled feta cheese.
- Light in colour olive oil
- 1 little gem/romaine lettuce, quartered long ways
- 1 large courgette, topped and tailed and sliced long ways
- A handful asparagus
- A handful garden peas in their pods
- A handful tenderstem broccoli
- ½ a lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt flakes
- Heat/light the barbecue for medium-high heat
- Toss the lettuce, courgette, asparagus, peas and broccoli in a glug of light olive oil
- Place the courgette onto the hottest part of the grills and arrange the rest around the edge with the lemon to cook with the lid down for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally to cook on all sides until charred and soft
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and salt flakes and serve with the lemon
Recipe by Charlotte Simpkins for Freely Fruity