The Wokingham Paper

Sumas and Binfield make cup progress while Kestrels are knocked out

Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor
Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor

Sumas 3-0 Chinnor

WOKINGHAM & EMMBROOK made progress in the Bluefin Challenge Cup with a 3-0 victory over Chinnor. 

Following their narrow loss to Longlevens in the FA Vase, the Sumas put that cup disappointment behind them with a comfortable win at Lowther Road on Tuesday evening. 

Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor
Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor Pictures: Andrew Batt FootballinBerkshire

Clark opened the scoring for the home side after Will Day was pulled down in the box to give the Sumas a spot kick.

Dan Bateman’s side doubled their lead shortly before the break as Liam Eagle found the corner with a superb volley as he connected sweetly to meet Scope’s cross. 

Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor
Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor

And the Sumas ensured that their name would be in the draw for the next round as Scope added a third in the second half as he beat the Chinnor keeper with an audacious back heel. 

The Sumas are back in league action on Saturday with an away trip to Wallingford Town as they look to build on their unbeaten start to the campaign.

Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor
Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor

Wokingham & Emmbrook: Woodward, W Day, Cummuskey, L Eagle, Carter, C Eagle, Badshah, Bateman, Rushforth, Clark, Scope.
Subs: O’Connell, Drabble, Kell, Winship, Eggleston

Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor
Wokingham & Emmbrook v Chinnor

Binfield 5-0 AFC Aldermaston

BINFIELD also continued their super start to the season as they breezed past AFC Aldermaston into the next round of the Bluefin Challenge Cup.

The Moles went ahead after just 11 minutes through Broome and added to their advantage a few minutes before the break as Adam Cornell put his chance away. 

Sean Moore continued his impressive scoring form as he scored two goals in quick succession to give the Moles an unassailable lead in the cup tie.

Johnson wrapped up the scoring in the 86th minute to cap off another convincing display from Binfield to progress to the next round of the competition.

Binfield: Grace, Thomson-Wheeler, Legg, Broome, Veal, Gallimore, Howell, McClurg, Cornell, Valentin, Moore.
Subs: Short, Harris, Chamberlain, Johnson

Wantage Town Reserves  3-1 Woodley United

WOODLEY UNITED surrendered a lead as they fell to their exit in the Bluefin Challenge Cup to Wantage Town Reserves. 

The Kestrels took a leaf in the 35th minute through Ben Anderson who arrowed a free kick low into the corner from the edge of the box.

But their lead lasted barely a minute as Wantage went down the other end and capitalised with an instant response. 

And things got worse for Woodley before the break as they were reduced to 10 players for a red card. 

The Kestrels fought hard to stay in the tie but were eventually broken down in the 75th minute, before Wantage sealed their place in the next round with a third goal in the 83rd minute.

Related posts

Our regional magnetism: something significant is happening right here in the Thames Valley

Staff Writer

Sheeplands to sell Christmas trees

Gemma Davidson

Man stages overnight rooftop protest in busy Earley road

Phil Creighton
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x